Our oldest little man turned 2 last week! I still can’t believe it myself. He is such a sweet boy and we are beyond blessed to have him in our lives. We had a little party to celebrate, just our immediate families and a few close friends. Ricky had a blast being the center of attention and everyone enjoyed watching him play, open presents, and of course- eat cake!
We made sure all of the food was Ricky-friendly (i.e. nut free, egg free, dairy free) so no one would have to worry about smooching him or playing with him on his big day.Food allergy friendly party menus are not the easiest to create. You want everyone to enjoy the food (and not just “this is pretty good for being allergy food” enjoy it) but make sure it is 100% safe. Here is what we came up with for a nut free, egg free, dairy free dinner menu to serve ~25 people.
- BBQ chicken on the grill (just chicken breasts slathered with some Sweet Baby Ray’s
- Italian Sausage (be cautious of the buns used, not all are dairy free)
- Applegate Beef Hot Dogs
- Italian Pasta Salad (see recipe below)
- Fruit Salad
- Rice Krispy Treats (using Earth Balance Non-Dairy Spread)
- Jello Pinwheels
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes from the Oh She Glows Cookbook
Everything turned out great! The Italian Pasta Salad is a recipe of my MIL’s and I’m so glad she shared it! Most pasta salads contain dairy or Miracle Whip (i.e. eggs), so it is wonderful to have one that is completely safe for Ricky but still has lots of flavor!
Italian Pasta Salad
- 1 box spiral noodles (we use Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 1 bottle Italian Dressing
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 package pepperoni, cut into halves (watch for dairy. we used Hormel)
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- Seasoning: This recipe originally used McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning, but since that contains dairy, we mixed up our own! There are no exact measurements, use each according to your taste!
- Salt, Sesame Seed, Poppy Seed, Paprika, Garlic, Black Pepper, and Red Pepper
- Cook pasta according to box
- Cut up veggies and pepperoni and toss with the pasta
- Mix seasoning into Italian dressing
- Stir dressing mixture into pasta and veggies