Why is it that sometimes leaving the house feels like a monumental task? When it is chilly outside and you have 2 kids in tow, sometimes the motivation just isn’t there. I may or may not have had one of those weeks last week. I typically go to the grocery store once a week, but I managed to get by without going for two weeks simply because I didn’t wanna go. There are a lot of recipes that require fresh veggies, and there there are gems like this one that are perfect when only the basic pantry staples are remaining in your home.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (no need to thaw)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups mashed potatoes*
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Start boiling your potatoes.
- Cook beef in a large skillet until no longer pink.
- Add onions and garlic, cook until onions are translucent
- Add thyme, ketchup, and flour; stir until combined. Add 1/2 cup water and frozen vegetables. Cook until vegetables are warmed through and liquid has thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Spoon beef mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Spread potatoes evenly over beef.
- Bake until potatoes are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
*I typically make my mashed potatoes using chicken broth, salt and pepper, and dairy-free butter (I like Country Crock spreadable), but using coconut milk or the water used to boil the potatoes will do in a pinch
Also, can we just take a moment to note that it snowed in Michigan yesterday. Come on April- give us some sunshine! The Katy Perry style weather has really got me down (ahem… hot ‘n cold, see what I did there #momjoke). I’m SO ready for some fresh air and a change in scenery for the boys. Hurry up spring!